Geskiedenis van die Hoërskool Cradock Alumni
Feite wil dit hê dat Cradock se skoolgeskiedenis dateer nog voor die Groot Trek, m.a.w. vroeg in die 1830’s. Die eerste openbare skool was die van John Webber met 40 leerlinge. Ongelukkig moes die skooltjie weens finansiële probleme toemaak in 1836.
In September 1838 is ‘n nuwe skool gestig naamlik die “Cradock Free School”, maar in 1870 word ‘n aparte seunskool met 20 leerlinge en mnr. L. Eaton as onderwyser gestig. In 1900 is ‘n nuwe gebou in Breestraat betrek met 145 leerlinge.
Rocklands was reeds in 1869 ‘n Meisieskool, maar 1875 word as amptelike beginjaar aanvaar, want toe is die geboue vir R 2000 gekoop deur die kerkraad van die Moedergemeente. Die skool is begin met 36 leerlinge en die skoolhoof was mev. Marianne Budler.
In 1972 smelt die twee bekende skole saam met mnr. M.G. Rust as skoolhoof in die ou Rocklands en die perseel van Hoër Seunskool word Laerskool Cradock.
In 1992 smelt Hoër Handelskool en Hoërskool Cradock saam en Voorbereidendeskool Cradock skuif vanaf die huidige Huis Reinhardt na die Handelskool perseel. Die ou Voorbereidendeskool (Huis Reinhardt) word as Seunskoshuis vir Hoërskool Cradock ingerig.
Die Hoër- en Laerskool is vanuit een kantoor geadministreer met meer as 800 leerlinge en 56 onderwysers. Uiteindelik moes sportvelde verdeel word, ‘n nuwe uniform word ingestel, skoolbusse word verdeel en aparte skoolfondse ingestel. So begin beide skole elkeen sy eie pad loop.
In 1984 het Ben Greyling 926 briewe uitgestuur aan oudskoliere. Hy het omtrent van 50 reaksie ontvang. Die wiele is aan die rol gesit en op 9 Augustus 1985 het die stigtersvergadering van die OSB plaasgevind. ‘n Verslag daarvan met fotos verskyn in die jaarblad van 1987. Weet nie wie die voorsitter was nie, maar Ben, Richard, Cedric, Albert en Johann was daarby betrokke. Met die Interskole van 1986 is die klubhuis in gebruik geneem. Projekte wat aangepak is, was mat- en juweliersveilings en menige steakaande. Daar was ook die twee oudskoliere “trips” na Oos-Londen en Tha B’nchu.
Cradock High School was identified during 1998 by the Sunday Times Newspaper as one of the top 22 Schools in the Eastern Cape and overall as one of South Africa’s top 300 schools. In 2005, Cradock High School was rated by the national minister of Education as the 16th best school in South Africa.
Cradock High School is a fairly young school as it only emerged in 1972 as a co-ed institution when two of the best known Eastern Cape Schools amalgamated. Build on the strong pillars provided by Cradock Boys High School and Rocklands Girls High, Cradock High School soon developed into a school with a tradition of excellent performances on all terrains. When Cradock High amalgamated with Midlands Commercial High in 1992, Cradock High became THE academical institution in the rural town of Cradock.
Cradock High is a dual medium school with 486 learners of which ±40% comes from previously disadvantaged communities. Teaching is done by 25 staff members in both Afrikaans and English.
Our Academic results compare extremely favourable with other high schools. The school has had an excellent pass rate over the past years. In 2010 all the matriculants have passed their exams while 5 learners obtained more than 80% average. Cradock High is one of only a few schools in the Eastern Cape where computer literacy is compulsory for all learners. Drama and art classes are available for talented learners.
Cradock High School is privileged to have the services of coaches in all the major sports. Two professional tennis coaches look after the development of our tennis players and our top 6 girls and top 6 boys’ players take part in tournaments all over South Africa. The school is also fortunate that a cricket academy operates at the school and talented cricket players are already reaping the rewards as they are selected for representative provincial sides. In rugby, not a year goes by with the school not being represented at Craven Week. Our Hockey and Netball girls are also members of the provincial sides every year. Our athletes do us proud in the respective track and field items they participate in.
– 1820 Settlers: Large number of small schools set up to foster standard of living which these pioneers brought with them
– First recorded public school (boys & girls) set up in Bree Street with Mr John Webber instructing up to 40 pupils of all ages at one time
– 1836: School closed – financial difficulties
– September 1838: Cradock Free School established – 35 pupils
– 1869: School became overcrowded therefore an independent Girls’ school was established with Mr G. Armstrong as headmaster
– 1870: Due to continual financial battling the Public School was broken up into a Boys’ Government-aided School and a Girls’ Government-aided School
– End of 1871: Four struggling institutions namely Boys’ and Girls’ Schools, Driefontein School and Wesleyan Mission School
– 1870: Boys’ School entered new phase – became an undenominational school under new headmaster Mr Eaton – School Started again with 20 pupils
– From the nucleus of this school the present Boys’ High School arose
– 1932: Buildings of Teachers’ Training College taken over by Boys’ High School